Now 19 and about to graduate from high school, Felipe lives in the Guadalupana area of the island with his mother, stepfather and two little brothers, Edgar and Elias. Their house has a packed dirt floor, walls of laminated cardboard, and a blue tarp roof shielded by palm fronds. It was spared in the flash fire that swept a corner of the settlement this past winter. Despite the rustic conditions, the home shelters three bright and well loved boys.

Because of our small contribution, Felipe's mama has named us his "padrinos" - godparents. We are honored to be considered part of this Mexican family. Now, Felipe wants to attempt an even greater step out of poverty, he wants to go to college in Valladolid. He will have the support of two classmates who will be enrolling also.

We have committed to help with college expenses but it will cost $200 a month - four times what we have been paying monthly. One other sponsor has already joined "Team Felipe", but we are looking for two more volunteer padrinos. Money is tight, but what an investment! Let me know if you would like to share our godson Felipe.
Great post, Judy! We are going through the same thing with Gaby....looking for more sponsors. We know it will work out--we told her we are committed & will come up with the money, but....Good Luck with your search
ReplyDeleteLuckily with Mark and Jana's help I have three new co-sponsors for Alejandra.
ReplyDeleteThis is a beautiful post, Judy. I am so impressed by the determination and drive that these kids show. That first pic brought tears to my eyes, it's adorable!!!
ReplyDeleteXOXO
I think I enlisted one new sponsor for our group today--still looking for a few more!
ReplyDeleteok I am interested in helping here ..I would like to talk with you about how this works..50. a month seems very do able please send me an email so I can get a little more info on th requirements prior to committing to this program .. Thanks Cindy
ReplyDeletecjanz2122@charter.net
UPDATE: We have assembled Team Felipe, but sponsors are still needed for other teams. Check out this website: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=242937832555&ref=ts
ReplyDelete