Last week, I was invited to a birthday party in a colonia (neighborhood) of Isla Mujeres. It is an honor for a visitor like me to be asked to a family event and I am humbled. As usual, when operating on "island time", a party scheduled for 8 pm finally began to assemble at 9. We sat in the courtyard and were served sugary soft drinks - although I try not to drink them, I knew it would be disrespectful to refuse. The tequila offed later, was a different story.
The guest of honor was a lovely lady, dressed in a traditional huipil (an embroidered white shift dress). Her brown face is seamed and creased from years in the tropical sun and with the cares of raising eight children with her husband, a gardener. I was surprised to learn that she is more than fifteen years younger than I am - but, of course, I have had a much easier life. She spoke only Mayan until she became an adult; now she speaks Mayan, Spanish and a smattering of English. Some of her children are college graduates and are fluent English speakers (lucky for me).
What keeps us coming back to this little island in Mexico is the genuine warmth of the people here. That night, I was hugged and kissed as one of the family. We were served lovingly prepared party food : tamales, macaroni with a creamy ham and cheese sauce, sandwiches with cream cheese and pimento, birthday cake... Heavy carb loading, but heavy love too. The warm trays kept arriving by moto and foot as more and more family and friends arrived. The tiny house and courtyard were packed. From toddlers through teenagers to adults, all circulated about the beaming birthday lady.
Then they shut off the lights and turned off the boom box. Two baritones took out their guitars and began to sing the traditional happy birthday song, Las Mananitas.
"These are the dawns that King David sang about.
We are singing here because today is your birthday.
Wake up my dear, and see what dawn has brought
The birds are singing
And the moon has set..."
The beautiful song goes on for seven more verses, and of course, I had to Google the translation later. But as I listened and watched and felt the love of this family on a warm Mexican night, I was so happy that I was included.
Sunday, January 22, 2017
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Love this....
ReplyDelete