In late February I became a statistic; I joined this country's millions of newly jobless. I'd been at the same job for 21 years and was blindsided by the layoff. Luckily, we left on our usual trip to Isla Mujeres soon after I got the word. There's nothing like lazing in a hammock with a view of the Caribbean to make mental room for thoughts of a new career.
Collecting unemployment has eased the transition and I've been earnestly sending off resumes, but even now when seasonal jobs should be appearing in our local papers, the "Help Wanted" listings take up less than one full column. So here's how I fill my time: my library card is getting a workout; I have become addicted to Home and Garden TV; the yard looks better than it has in years, but ironically my housekeeping skills don't seem to have improved. I've joined a womens' exercise program; I've lost 15 pounds; my friends and I share coffee several times a week; I'm free to spend more time with my grandchildren and I taught a GED preparation class during the winter. I joke with Hubby that I'm now his "kept woman".
So life without a job hasn't been too tough to take. It's not exactly standing in a breadline. We're learning to live happily with less.
Tuesday, June 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You have a great attitude about unemployment & are making the most of your time "off". I usually don't work in the summer, but go back to work for the fall & winter, but don't think there will be a store to go ack to--times are tough all over!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteSorry, made a grammar typo, and I hate that, so am reposting...
ReplyDeleteI know it must be tough to be in your shoes, but from reading how you are filling your time, it sounds to me like you are actually living your life, instead of working for your life. I wish there was a better balance for all of us - we work too much, I think, and your last sentence says it well - we do need to learn to be happy with less. Isla teaches that lesson well, doesn't it? (although that may be changing with the influence of high-dollar accommodations). Good luck - am enjoying your blog.